Radio Tempo Não Pára
Radio Tempo Não Pára (Portuguese for time does not stop) is an independent online radio station based in Amsterdam. What started off as a birthday gift between two best friends, is now a platform for dozens of artists, scientists and hundreds of listeners every week.
Time does, indeed, not stop. Many things have changed over the past year. We have had the opportunity to feature over 70 exciting upcoming artists from all around the globe, create a scientific podcast (Talk That Science) in collaboration with the University of Amsterdam and throw a bunch of incredible parties where we met loads of wonderful people!
We believe that it is now time for the next step, to create a physical radio studio at the NDSM-Werf in Amsterdam! And for that, we need your help! We have found a space, now we just need the required equipment. We are asking you, our friends and community, to help us fund this dream!
Our vision can be summarized in only a few words: “to build a community”. We aim to bring music lovers together and create an atmosphere where music, science and people are celebrated.
- Music. We want to continue giving emerging DJs a chance to show off their skills, but expand this to a physical location as well. We welcome all sorts of music; from the funkiest organic grooves to extremely soulful house to eclectic electronic experimentalism. Oh, and everything in between.
- Science. Our studio will also function as a recording studio for the science podcasts we create with the University of Amsterdam. Having a studio will improve the quality of our podcasts and hopefully make our podcasts even more accessible!
- People. We want the studio to be an open house, where one can stop by and check in when we are live. We want to create a place where everyone is welcome and new friendships can be made.
Furthermore, we want to fully utilize the space we reside in. This means designing our studio in such a way that there’s room for several people to stop by and hangout. The space at the NDSM-Werf also allows for a variety of other events. For example, if possible, we would also like to organize listening sessions.
What do we need the money for?
Building a studio from scratch is expensive. Because of COVID-19 we were unable to throw our regular events losing out on most of our revenue. We have managed to gather a sum of money to buy some of the essentials, but we need your help to fully complete the studio! Below is a list of things we need for the studio.
- Speakers (we have bought incredible high fidelity speakers)
- DJ Equipment (CDJs, Turntables, Mixer)
- Video Equipment (Streaming)
- DJ Booth
- Furniture and design of the studio
Diversity & Giving Back
Diversity is enrichment for everyone, and we want our space to be open to everyone (regardless of gender, identity, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality or anything else). We believe everyone is equal and we want to create a space that is as safe as possible for everyone.
We operate in the realms of underground (dance) music and are well aware that most of the music we love so much originates from marginalized groups (BIPOC, LGTBQ+, and other minorities). We take this in consideration when making executive decisions.
Furthermore, we also acknowledge the gentrification happening in Amsterdam-Noord. We do not want to be a part of the gentrification, but build a community space instead.
Creating a safe, diverse community space is easier said than done. We have thus created a plan of action that will hopefully help us to do better.
Plan of Action
- Giving artists lurking in the shadows a platform to shine has always been our intention. We realize that certain minorities (womxn, BIPOC, LGTBQ+) face a bigger challenge to get noticed. We will continue to do the work to find these unnoticed artists, confront our biases and create a more diverse place.
- Right now we are working on a cultural event that will bring people from different backgrounds together to create new connections. We will continue to do events that connect people.
- Once the radio is up and running and we have some room to breathe we would like to organize a multiple-week DJ workshop for local youth in Amsterdam-Noord so they can learn the essentials of DJ-ing. We want to especially target youth from low socioeconomic status.
- Taking our responsibility. This means speaking out when unjust things happen, also when not many people are around. We want the studio to be a safe space, and we will try our hardest to make it that way (i.e. sexist, homo- or transphobic, racist or xenophobic comments will not be tolerated!).
- Be open to dialogue. We might make mistakes, and we want to own-up to them and learn. If you have any critique, concerns or feedback, you can always send an email to email@example.com
As much as we would love to offer a reward for every donation made we simply cannot afford to do so. However, we have come up with two “rewards” for people who either donate €25 or €50+. Please note that you have to email us on firstname.lastname@example.org with your receipt in order to claim your reward!
A guest list spot at one of our upcoming events (once it is possible again). Per event we will have a limited amount of guest list spots available which will be distributed on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis.
If you have donated €25 and would like to receive your reward please email your donation receipt to email@example.com and we will put you on a mailing list. We will email you once an event is announced for which you can claim your guest list spot.
Donate €50 or more*
Receive a limited-edition "Radio Tempo Não Pára Family" Tee. This T-shirt will be custom designed and made available for supporters only! The shirts will be created after we have the studio up and running.
If you have donated €50 and would like to receive your reward please email your donation receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put you on a mailing list. We will email you once the shirts have been made asking you for your size and address.
*Please add the shipping costs to your donation, see shipping costs here: https://www.postnl.nl/en/mail-and-parcels/parcels/international-parcel-without-tracking/ (free pickup in Amsterdam + Utrecht)